First archery season comes to bitter end

They say, good things come to those who wait.

Baloney, I say.

I waited about six weeks, which included 30 hours of hunting in the final week, and went home empty-handed when it comes to filling my archery buck tag. I had some chances, had two encounters with a spectacular eight-point buck who avoided me like I was wearing a clown suit.

Let’s just say if you are keeping score: Deer 1, me 0.

Monday was my best day of the week. After spotting a buck with his nose to the ground, I thought there was a good chance my estrous scent was going to work at some point. Thirty minutes later a much larger buck had my heart racing cruised up the hill and out of sight.

Two or three subtle grunts and he returned only to take the exact same path 70 yards away and well out of my range.

It was an entertaining final week. I had a small bear and a 6-point buck within eyesight at the same time. The bear was at 20 yards, the buck at 40 and I was slightly uphill in the middle of each. Let’s just say it was an awkward 45 seconds as all three of us froze and waited for the other to blink.

The buck exited first.

I also saw a larger bear, twice to be exact, and a bobcat. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen a bobcat, and this one appeared healthy at 30 pounds if I had to guess.

So it’s back to the woods next week: Next up is the archery bear season. I’ve never taken a black bear, but hoping this may be a good chance considering the sightings I’ve had. With my luck, I’m guessing this is the week I have a racked buck in range.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Rules. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or fill out this form.
  • Categories

  • Archives