Not even the Little Gap Covered Bridge in Carbon County was impervious to the driving winds that followed the devastating snowfall of Feb. 6, 1978. Days after the storm, snow could be found resting on the bridge’s interior rimmed timbers.
Seventy-three feet long and 15 feet wide, the bridge, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, spans Aquashicola Creek in Lower Towamensing Township.
The 19-century bridge “combines the famous arch-supported ‘Burr Truss’ (invented by Theodore Burr in 1804) with elements of the ‘Howe Truss’ (designed by William Howe in 1840), incorporating for the first time metal elements in the form of tie rods in bridge construction,” according to the 1980 National Register of Historic Places nomination form.
The method of construction represents the transition from wooden to metal bridges; therefore, the builder must have been a successor of Howe’s, making the Little Gap bridge about 150 to 180 years old, the nomination form reveals.