In 1957, when The Daily Record, now the Pocono Record, moved into its new plant at 511 Lenox St., Stroudsburg, the building was furnished with the finest equipment and machinery available for the printing of the newspaper. Oh, how things have changed.
Although the number of days per week the paper is printed has grown to seven, the former Daily Record is now devoid of its press.
However, the production of the local newspaper never stopped. It’s now printed at the Pocono Record’s sister paper, the Times Herald-Record in Middletown, N.Y.
But years before the press was removed, printing was a bit different than today. In a section of the Pocono Record building that was once known as the stereotype room, hot molten metal was poured into forms, creating tubular plates needed for the printing process. These tubular plates are now relics of the past.
Yet, similar to today’s newspaper production, the pressmen of the 1950s threaded large rolls of newsprint (newsprint hasn’t changed much since it was invented in the 1800s) into the press.
Another thing that hasn’t changed, stacks of printed newspapers – although not hot off the press (the newspapers are trucked in from Middletown) – are still delivered by carriers.
On March 10, 1938, Nelson A. Frantz, a former teacher at the Stroudsburg schools, began his 30th year as manager of The Record, now known as the Pocono Record. Frantz took the position on March 9, 1909.
When Frantz assumed the management of the newspaper, A.F. Everitt, who was the only newsroom staff member, was editor. By Frantz’ 30th anniversary, the newsroom’s staff had grown to six. Today, there are more than 25 newsroom employees.
Check out what was happening in the Poconos during the week of March 10-16, 1938.
More newspaper history …