Steward Silas Flagler
On May 2, 1934, Steward Silas Flagler, former owner of the well-known Flagler’s Phenix (also spelled Phoenix) Drug Store died after a brief illness.
Not only was Flagler’s store name marred by a misspelling, so was his given name. “Steward” was, at times, converted to “Stewart” (or vice versa).
Note the advertisement posted below.
♦ ♦ ♦
The following is Flagler’s obituary, published in The Record the day of his death:
Steward Silas Flagler, retired businessman, prominent banker, and one of the leaders in civic affairs of the community, passed away at the family residence, 609 Main Street, at 5:20 o’clock this morning, in the 74th year of his age. In the death of Mr. Flagler, Stroudsburg and Monroe County loses one of its most valued and highly respected citizens.
Mr. Flagler had been in failing health since January, 1933, when he was taken ill while on a hunting trip with Stroudsburg friends at Newbern, N.C. He apparently recovered his health and looked after his drug business and various other activities. He presided at the meeting of the board of directors of the First-Stroudsburg National Bank, of which he was the chairman, as usual on Tuesday a week ago and was stricken suddenly ill at 7 o’clock on Wednesday, living almost a week from that time. Notwithstanding that he was given every possible medical attention, his condition became gradually worse and the end was not unexpected. Still, the news of the death caused a great shock in the entire community.
Mr. Flagler was a son of Enoch and Catherine Flagler and was born on the old Flagler farm in Stroud Township. Reared on the farm, he built up a wonderful physique, which he retained throughout his lifetime.
The deceased attended the township schools and later a private academy in Stroudsburg. He taught school for several years at the Spoke Factory school and at Wesley Chapel, experiences he enjoyed immensely and which he enjoyed relating to his friends.
He married Medina Kistler, daughter of William Kistler, tanner, at Bartonsville, who preceded him to the grave Nov. 14, 1927, which proved a great shock.
After his marriage, Mr. Flagler moved to Stroudsburg and entered the employ of the late Dr. Amzi LeBar, druggist, where he learned the business. He passed the state board examination later and 41 years ago this spring he bought the property in which he died and which had been the site of a drug store for more than 100 years. He bought the drug store of John Brown, which had been previously known as the Phoenix Drug Store, to it the young man added his family name and Flagler’s Phoenix Drug Store was a household word through the county.
Mr. Flagler kept pace with the progress and expansion of business and made many improvements to the store and his residence. He gave the business his close personal attention and enjoyed a fine trade. He retired from the business on June 1, 1933, when he disposed of the same to his brother, Howard R. Flagler, who had been identified with him for many years and the latter’s son, Howard R. Flagler, Jr. Steward Flagler was the oldest merchant in point of years of service in the community, when he retired.
The deceased was a prominent figure in banking circles of the county and had hosts of friends throughout the state in the same line. Early in his business career, he was elected a director of the former First National Bank, being the oldest member of the board with Steward S. Shafer. Mr. Flagler served the bank continuously as director or officer to the time of his death. He was eventually elected vice president and on the death of the late William W. L’Hommedieu, succeeded to presidency. He held this office, when the bank was consolidated with the Stroudsburg National Bank, August 4, 1932, when he was elected chairman of the board of directors. As stated, he filled his usual place a week ago Tuesday with his usual good cheer and careful business judgement. His advice and counsel were frequently sought by his friends in financial matters.
Mr. Flagler was deeply interested in the cause of education and served as a director of the Stroudsburg school board for 17 years, when the board was composed of the late B.F. Morey, C.B. Keller, W.A. Shafer and Robert Brown, which was known as the “Big Five.” The high school building on the hill, which was destroyed by fire, was erected, while he was a member of the board.
Industrial growth of the borough was one of the main objectives and he gave much of his time to these matters. He was a member of the old Board of Trade, later the Industrial Club, then the Chamber of Commerce, acting as president of the last two and also a member of the industrial committee to which he gave much of his time. He was very active in locating the Mammoth Hosiery Mill in Stroudsburg.
Mr. Flagler was prominent in church circles of the borough. Early in life he organized and taught a Sunday school in the old Quaker church where the municipal building is now located. Later he joined the Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church and from there became identified with the Stroudsburg church of the same denomination. In the latter he was a member of the official board for years and president of the trustees at the time of death. He represented the church in Philadelphia conference many years and had a wide acquaintanceship in that body. He was also superintendent of the Sunday school for a number of years.
The deceased was a director and president of the Stroudsburg Cemetery Association and treasurer of the Commonwealth Building and Loan Association in both of which he gave the same careful attention as to every other activity in which he was identified.
He greatly enjoyed his Masonic affiliations and was district deputy grand master of District No. 50, until failing health compelled him to relinquish the office. He was a past master of Barger Lodge, No. 325, F. and A.M. (Free and Accepted Masons); Monroe Royal Arch Chapter, No. 281; past commander of Samuel S. Yohe Commandery, No. 81, Knights Templar, of Stroudsburg; Irem Temple, of the Mystic Shrine, of Wilkes-Barre, and the Lehigh Consistory, Allentown.
No one found more pleasure in the sports of hunting and fishing than Mr. Flagler. He was president of the Saw Creek Club for along time and many improvements were made under his regime.
The deceased is survived by two daughters, Miss Mary Flagler, at home, and Mrs. Roy H. Houser; two brothers Howard R. Flagler, Sr., James M. Flagler, of Stroudsburg, also three granddaughters, Mary, Gladys and Martha Honser. A son, Clarence Flagler, passed away in 1910.
♦ ♦ ♦
Note: The funeral was held at the Flagler’s house on the following Friday, the Rev. E. F. Hoffman, pastor of the Stroudsburg Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. He was assisted by the Rev. J. Bruce Mackay of the Wissahickon Church of Philadelphia. Internment was at the Stroudsburg Cemetery.