President judge honored for 10 years service
Arlington W. Williams would soon be retiring as president judge of Monroe and Pike counties when, on Sept. 27, 1977, about 300 lawyers and their spouses gathered for a testimonial diner at the Buck Hill Inn to honor His Honor’s 10 years on the bench.
Speakers, including James H. Marsh and Fred W. Davis (both former president judges, now deceased), praised Williams as a man of high personal ethics.
Williams had been a member of the Monroe County bar since 1928 and would retire from the bench at the end of 1977. As a symbol of respect, the Arlington Williams Scholarship was established at The Dickinson School of Law in Carlisle – the judge’s alma mater – by the members of Monroe and Pike bar associations.
In 1967, Williams was elected to a 10-year term as president judge of the 43rd Judicial District, which included Monroe and Pike counties.
Born in Stroudsburg, he was one of eight children and held various jobs growing up, including delivering newspapers.
After graduating from Stroudsburg High School, he was admitted to Dickinson Law School without the requisite college degree – something few law students have ever achieved. He returned to Monroe County to practice law after earning a law degree.
On Nov. 23, 1996, Judge Arlington W. Williams died at Laurel Manor Nursing Home in Stroudsburg. He was 93.
• • •