Author Archives: Janis Dahlman

Janis Dahlman

Obsessed with the “order of things,” Janis found a home at the Pocono Record as its news librarian more than 20 years ago. As the newspaper’s researcher, she can often be found in the back warehouse, surrounded by old clips files and photos.

Follow on Twitter: @PoconoDahlman, email: jdahlman@poconorecord.com

1964: President Johnson’s daughter at Buck Hill Falls

During February 1964, Lucy Baines Johnson attended a weekend-long religious conference at The Inn at Buck Hill Falls with about 400 other teenagers. The presence of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s daughter, oddly enough, did not create much confusion. However, one reportable event did occurred during the event’s closing service when it was announced that a [...]

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

1966: YMCA membership drive

New programs equal new members Shown in this 1966 photo are Mrs. James Walter, Don Cramer (center) and Joe DeRenzis as they make plans for the YMCA’s membership drive. The group is checking out the listing of new programs being offered by the Y, which would be used as an enticement for new members. Walter [...]

Posted in 1960s Photographs | Leave a comment

1973: Advertisements, a glimpse of yesteryear

    Turn the pages of The Pocono Record back to page 6 of the Aug. 24, 1973, edition and you’ll discover a full page of advertisements, promoting the local hotpots. Here’s a look at some of the ads (click on ads to enlarge):  

Posted in Advertisements | Leave a comment

Pocono Playhouse built on farmland

Born in Morenci, Michigan and graduating from the University of Michigan, Rowena Stevens, founder of the Pocono Playhouse, performed in and managed USO shows overseas during World War II. It was this experience with the USO that led her to build the summer theater. She selected the Pocono Mountains as the site for the new [...]

Posted in 1960s Photographs, Businesses | Leave a comment

Michael Jackson performs at Pocono Raceway

The year was 1973 and the country was embroiled in the Watergate scandal, Tony Orlando and Dawn topped the charts, and Michael Jackson played a concert in the Poconos. The site was the Pocono Raceway, and the occasion was the Pocono State Fair.  For 10 days, from July 20 to July 29, 1973, leading performers [...]

Posted in 1970s Photographs | Leave a comment

East Stroudsburg Railroad Tower

Built in 1908, the East Stroudsburg Railroad Tower remains the last wooden tower still standing along the Lackawanna Rail Line, which was originally part of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. In its glory days, those in the tower controlled the switches and signals on the main tracks between Broad and Federal streets, according to [...]

Posted in Railroads | Leave a comment

1974: Little Brown Jug’s new look

Henrietta Baldwin, widow of the late Martin S. “Marty” Baldwin, flanked by then-Stroudsburg High School athletic director Wayne Hulsizer and East Stroudsburg counterpart Jack Kist, is shown in 1974 (right) holding the Little Brown Jug. The trophy had been recently refurbished. Marty, who died in August ’74, originally donated the trophy that is awarded to [...]

Posted in 1970s Photographs, Schools, Sports | Leave a comment

Doughboy statue stands tall

In 1919, a fund was created to raise money for a monument that would honor Monroe County residents who served in World War I. Five years later, on Aug. 11, 1924, the monument – the Doughboy -  in Courthouse Square was dedicated with three-year-old George N. Kemp unveiling the statue.           [...]

Posted in Military | Leave a comment

1975: A ghouling good time

  As he rides a float down Main Street in Stroudsburg, this vampire gestures to the folks – young and old – who had lined the way to watch the 1975 Pocono Mountain Halloween Parade. While it may appear that the scary fellow, usually known as Chuck Cirino, a Pocono Mountain Jaycee, is searching for someone’s [...]

Posted in Halloween | Leave a comment

1965: Out with the old, in with the new – Ehrlich’s

In April 1965, residents of East Stroudsburg witness a passing of an era as the old Ehrlich’s Market building at 107 Washington St. was razed, making way for the expansion of the East Stroudsburg Saving, Building and Loans Association. A year earlier, the market had been moved to 112 N. Courtland St., the site of [...]

Posted in 1960s Photographs, Advertisements, Businesses | Leave a comment